Sushi can be hazardous to your shirt!
I'm blogging!! I'm blogging!!!!! Look ma...no hands!!!
I couldn't concentrate all day. Anxiety over Megan? No... We were having sushi tonight. It has been a while so I couldn't wait.
Where you ask? Sushiya of course. Our favorite half price sushi joint. Ahhhh, Sushiiiii! It is only a matter of time before this stuff is regulated as a controlled substance and wasabi is banned outright. Best get when the gett'ns good! (read: sushi excuse of the week)
The sushi did not disappoint and we decided to cap off the evenings feast with a Spicy Albacore roll. It looked good and we had never had one and.... it was half price :) You know how all of the rolls with shrimp have the shrimp tail sticking out the end (I am sure this is only done in America and the Japanese get a big kick out it) well.... this makes it very difficult to eat with chopsticks. You have to pick up the end piece, dip it in your soy sauce and get it to your mouth while at the same time avoiding consuming the inedible tail sticking out the end. Up until tonight this was a skill I thought I had mastered.
I grabbed my end piece, gently nestled into my dish of soy sauce ready to consume what was sure to be one of the better bites of the evening. Readjusting my chop sticks I confidently grabbed my pending delight and with a twist of my wrist I flawlessly executed my time tested maneuver to get the sushi in my mouth with the tail sticking out for easy discard. Unfortunately I forgot that this move was primarily designed for maki rolls that are tightly bound and this Spicy Albacore roll had fish on the outside as well as the inside. As I realized my mistake my finely honed skills were not able recover from the errant wrist twist and all I could do was a full body pucker as I awaited what was surely to be a messy aftermath.
The slab of albacore dislodged and made its fateful fall into my shallow dish of soy sauce. It landed flat and hard. The center strike produced a tidal surge never before seen by this Sushi connoisseur. Sure that my shirt was done for I paused an extra second for dramatic effect and opened my eyes to survey the damage. I couldn't believe it!! Not a mark!! The albacore had easily expelled half the soy sauce from my dish and yet I didn’t have even the smallest spec on me! I couldn't believe it. Turning to Mandy to recount my harrowing tail I quickly realized that while I was miraculously spared but that was not the case for those around me. Mandy, who had expressed reservations about having worn such a light colored shirt to a sushi feast and who up until this point was successfully unmarred was now covered from neck to waist in a spray of soy. Showing great restraint in not retaliating in what would have surely developed into a full fledged food fight, Mandy took a deep breath and realized the foolishness of tempting fate with light shirt on. I offer this story in hopes that others will learn from my mistake - Alan

1 Comments:
1. i can't believe that alan is posting.
2. you might want to create accounts for each of you to post so we know who is writing, i've seen other people do that.
3. alan is "en fuego" tonight. veeery funny posting. veeeery descriptive language. i can't wait for his description of changing megan's first poopy diaper. :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home