Mei Mei
Let me backtrack to a story that I forgot to write up. When we went shopping at Beijing road and Mandy was in the store buying them out of shoes, I was waiting with Megan on a bench in the department store. As I am sitting there this cute little four year old girl and her mother come walking by. The little girl is all dressed up in a pretty dress with a little purse. As they pass, she looks at Megan and smiles. She then stops her mom and says mei mei, which translates as “little sister”. She proceeds to start rummaging through her little purse. Pulling out a bunch of little stickers, she comes over and places a little red dot on Megan’s forehead to match the one that she has on her forehead. I don’t know if they were Hindu. The mother did not have any outward appearance of being so and they were Asian. The girl may have been just imitating something she had seen but it was very cute. Once she placed the red dot on Megan’s forehead she grabbed her mom's hand and they continued to walk on by. The babies attract a lot attention as cute babies always do but this was an especially touching moment.

1 Comments:
Alan,
I read somewhere a while back (I think on China 33) that some Chinese put a lucky red dot (some kind of paint or henna) on beautiful little girls- some girls have come with them from the orphanage. This Jie Jie was saying that Megan was beautiful. Congratulations!!
~Michelle
mommy to Tenley from Yang Xi
www.yoichoichoi.blogspot.com
Post a Comment
<< Home