Thursday, December 01, 2005

Lilies

One night, early on in our trip, as we were walking back from dinner, I purchased a bunch of lilies from a sidewalk vendor. They were very pretty. I believe Guangzhou has a reputation for its flowers. We brought them back to the hotel and recommissioned an ice bucket as a vase. The flowers sat in the center our window and filtered the light into our little home.

As I watched the lilies over our time here in China I noticed that the vendor had included both lilies in full bloom along with some that were yet to emerge. With each new morning a new lily would bloom and add its beauty to the bouquet. I then noticed that while new flowers were emerging the flowers that first cheered our room were now starting to fade. One by one a flower would fade away and be replaced by the beauty of a flower gaining new life. It is always sad to see something so beautiful fade away but the bundle of flowers always managed to brightened each new morning that entered our room.

So it has been for us here in China. Each new day has brought something unexpected and new. Our hearts ached for the arrival of days that are now fading memories but we face the future so thankful for new beauty that greets us each morning.

Thank you China for your precious gift and your hospitality!! Thank you USAA and the China Team for everything. We will blog next from home.

2 Comments:

At 12/01/2005 11:41 PM, Blogger allyn fratkin said...

have a safe trip home on the "screaming baby express", china southern's non-stop screaming flight from guangzhou to los angeles. :-)

 
At 12/02/2005 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully put!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home